Benefits of using Rosemary Oil for Hair Growth
If you are in search of an invigorating solution to stimulate hair growth and maintain healthy locks, you've come to the right place.
In this blog we explore the effectiveness of using rosemary oil as a natural solution to hair growth. You will discover its remarkable benefits and research behind it, with simple steps on the best way to use rosemary oil for hair growth.
What is Rosemary oil good for?
Rosemary oil is a popular essential oil that offers various beauty benefits due to its natural properties.
Key Benefits of Rosemary oil
- Hair Growth and Scalp Health: Rosemary oil has been proved to stimulate hair follicles and promote hair growth. It can improve blood circulation to the scalp and may help in reducing hair loss and preventing thinning. Regular application of Rosemary oil can add shine and luster to the hair while strengthening the hair strands, making them less prone to breakage.
- Dandruff and Dry Scalp: The moisturising and anti-inflammatory properties of Rosemary oil can help alleviate dandruff and soothe dry, itchy scalp conditions.
- Aromatherapy: The invigorating aroma of Rosemary oil can provide relaxation and stress relief, which can indirectly contribute to overall beauty by promoting a calm mind and reducing stress-related skin issues.
- Acne and Blemish-prone Skin: Rosemary oil contains antimicrobial properties that can help combat acne-causing bacteria. It may also assist in fading blemishes and promoting clearer skin.
- Anti-Aging: Rosemary oil is rich in antioxidants that can help protect the skin from free radical damage, potentially slowing down the aging process and reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
How Does Rosemary Oil Work for Hair Growth?
Rosemary essential oil is believed to work by improving blood circulation to the hair follicles, providing essential nutrients and oxygen for optimal hair health. Rich in antioxidants, rosemary oil also helps combat free radicals that can damage hair cells and hinder growth. Its natural anti-inflammatory properties may contribute to reducing scalp irritation, further fostering a conducive environment for hair growth. By strengthening the hair shaft and preventing premature hair thinning, rosemary oil assists in achieving fuller and thicker locks.
Does rosemary oil work the same as Minoxidil?
Yes, Rosemary oil may serve as a natural substitute for Minoxidil in boosting hair growth. Minoxidil is a medication used to stimulate hair growth and treat hair loss conditions like androgenetic alopecia.
A study compared both of their effects on androgenetic alopecia (AGA), splitting patients into rosemary oil and minoxidil 2% groups for 6 months. Hair count was checked at 3 and 6 months. After 3 months, no significant hair count change was seen, but at 6 months, both groups had significantly more hair compared to the start and 3-month points. Hair count differences between groups were insignificant. Both had increased scalp itching at 3 and 6 months, more in the minoxidil group. The trial suggests rosemary oil's potential for AGA treatment.
Step-by-step Guide: How to use Rosemary Oil for Hair Growth
When using rosemary essential oil for hair growth, dilution is crucial because pure essential oils are potent and may cause irritation when applied directly to the scalp. Therefore it is important to start by diluting a few drops of pure Rosemary Oil in a carrier oil like Jojoba or Coconut oil.
- Select a carrier oil that suits your hair type and preferences: Jojoba oil works well for most hair types, while Coconut oil is known for its deep conditioning properties. Mix approximately 2-3 drops of Rosemary Oil with about a tablespoon of the carrier oil.
- Prepare for Application: Part your hair to expose your scalp or the area where you want to stimulate hair growth and divide it into sections. This makes it easier to apply the mixture evenly.
- Apply the Mixture: Using your fingertips, gently massage the diluted Rosemary Oil mixture onto your scalp. The massaging action helps stimulate blood circulation, which can promote hair follicle activity. Ensure you cover the entire scalp.
- Leave the mixture on for at least 30 minutes to an hour: For more intensive treatment and even better results, you can leave it on overnight by covering your hair with a shower cap or a towel.
- Wash your hair: After the recommended time has passed, wash your hair using a mild sulfate-free shampoo. Make sure to rinse thoroughly to remove any residue from the oils.
- Repeat the process: For noticeable results, repeat this process two to three times a week. Remember that consistency is key when it comes to natural remedies like Rosemary Oil for hair growth.
Which Rosemary oil is best for Hair Growth?
When selecting Rosemary oil for hair care in the UK, opt for a premium 100% natural and therapeutic grade essential oil. This oil is known for potentially stimulating hair growth and enhancing hair health.
Rosemary Oil that is already diluted
Alternatively, the Weleda Hair Tonic, pre-mixed with rosemary and other beneficial ingredients, offers a convenient and ready-to-use option. You can read our comprehensive Weleda Hair Tonic Review here.
Frequently asked questions
Are Rosemary oil results permanent?
The permanence of rosemary oil results for hair growth varies among individuals due to factors like genetics, health, and usage consistency. While some experience long-lasting effects, others find results to be temporary. Combining Rosemary oil use with a healthy lifestyle and proper care may contribute to longer-lasting outcomes. It's important to manage expectations and consult professionals before making significant changes. For those seeking natural alternatives, Rosemary oil offers potential, but individual responses differ.
Can Rosemary oil cause hair loss?
There is currently no substantial scientific evidence to suggest that rosemary oil directly causes hair loss. However, it is important to note that undiluted rosemary oil can irritate the scalp and hair follicles which may lead to hair loss in some cases.
Can Rosemary oil strip hair colour?
No, rosemary oil is not likely to strip hair colour. It generally doesn't possess strong color-stripping properties. If you're concerned about preserving your hair colour, it's recommended to use specialised colour-safe shampoos and conditioners.
Keywords: Rosemary oil, Rosemary oil for hair growth, Rosemary oil for hair loss
By Rhysa Phommachanh BA (hons) Specialist in skincare, hair, and media-makeup