Carnitine is an amino acid that plays an important role in regulating your body's metabolism, which is how you burn calories and create energy from your food. Carnitine is known to improve the function of mitochondria and energy within your body's cells. It can be used to help your body burn fat, combat muscle fatigue, and helps to boost the overall recovery process.
- Solaray Free Form L-Carnitine 500mg Capsules 30Special Price £11.99 Regular Price £14.99
- Nature's Answer L-Carnitine 480mlSpecial Price £27.19 Regular Price £31.99
- Viridian L-Carnitine 500mg Veg Caps 30Special Price £19.72 Regular Price £24.65
- Viridian L-Carnitine 500mg Veg Caps 60Special Price £36.16 Regular Price £45.20
- Higher Nature Alpha (Acertyl-L-Carnitine 250mg & Alpha Lipoic Acid 100mg) Capsules 90Special Price £24.76 Regular Price £30.95
- Lamberts Acetyl L-Carnitine 500mg Capsules 60Special Price £18.99 Regular Price £23.95
- Lamberts L-Carnitine 500mg Caps 60Special Price £15.99 Regular Price £19.95
- Solgar L-Carnitine 500mg Tablets 30Special Price £16.49 Regular Price £26.50
- PharmaNord Bio-Carnitine 250mg Caps 125Special Price £16.96 Regular Price £19.95
- HealthAid L-Carnitine 550mg tablets 30Special Price £15.19 Regular Price £18.99
- HealthAid Acetyl-L-Carnitine 550mg tablets 30Special Price £17.99 Regular Price £22.49
- Solgar L-Carnitine 1500mg Liquid 473mlSpecial Price £17.99 Regular Price £28.95
- Solgar L-Carnitine 500mg Tablets 60Special Price £30.99 Regular Price £49.95Out of stock
All you need to know about Carnitine
What is carnitine?
Carnitine is important for regulating how your body produces energy from the food that you eat. It transports fatty acids into the mitochondria of your cells. This causes the cells to burn fat and create energy, which you need for everyday movement and brain function. Carnitine is produced in the body from lysine and methionine amino acids.
You also need to be taking an adequate amount of vitamin C into your diet for carnitine to work properly. Carnitine can be found in foods that are high in protein such as meat and fish. Those who are vegetarian or vegan may find it more challenging to get the carnitine they need in their diet.
Does carnitine aid weight loss?
Because carnitine helps your body to burn fatty acids for energy, it has been suggested that it could boost your ability to lose weight, but studies testing this theory have not produced anything conclusive. A study over eight weeks found that there was no difference between women who took carnitine for weight loss, and those who didn't. Other studies have claimed that carnitine does not produce fat burning. However, in obese people, carnitine has been found to have some benefits in weight loss, combined with a weight loss diet and exercise regime.
Does carnitine improve brain function?
It has been suggested that carnitine can improve brain function, reduce mental decline because of ageing, and improve a person's ability to learn. Studies have shown that taking carnitine daily can reverse symptoms of Alzheimer’s and other degenerative brain conditions. In a 90-day study where participants took carnitine every day, all brain functions generally improved.
What does carnitine do for your skin?
Carnitine can be found in some creams and lotions for topical application. It can be used in make-up products such as primers and moisturisers to reduce sebum production, which helps to combat oily or overly shiny skin.