After sun is a very important product to apply to your skin after sunbathing or being out and about on a hot day. It has a high water content, which helps it to cool and soothe burned skin that may be hot and inflamed from too much sun exposure. Explore our range of after sun products with gentle hydrating formulas and natural ingredients that are free from chemical nasties and suitable for the whole family.
- Esthederm After Sun Repair 50mlSpecial Price £25.46 Regular Price £38.00
- Mustela After Sun Spray 125mlSpecial Price £11.60 Regular Price £14.50
- Bioderma Photoderm Apres Soleil Refreshing After Sun Milk 200mlSpecial Price £9.00 Regular Price £12.00
- La Roche-Posay Posthelios Melt in After Sun Gel 200mlSpecial Price £11.48 Regular Price £13.50
- Esthederm Micellar After Sun Shower Gel 200mlSpecial Price £12.73 Regular Price £19.00
- Bioderma Photoderm Apres Soleil Refreshing After Sun Milk 500mlSpecial Price £12.38 Regular Price £16.50Out of stock
- Eucerin Allergy Protection After Sun Creme-Gel 150mlSpecial Price £10.13 Regular Price £13.50Out of stock
- Lancaster Sun Tan Maximizer After Sun Face Serum 30mlSpecial Price £21.60 Regular Price £24.00Out of stock
- Lancaster Golden Tan Maximiser Dry Oil After Sun 150ml£21.50Out of stock
- Lancaster Golden Tan Maximiser After Sun 400ml£27.50Out of stock
- Lancaster Golden Tan Maximiser After Sun 250ml£22.50Out of stock
- Filorga UV-Bronze After-Sun Gel 200ml£25.00Out of stock
- Vichy Ideal Soleil After-Sun Repair Balm 100mlSpecial Price £10.20 Regular Price £12.00Out of stock
All you need to know about After Sun
What does aftersun do?
Sunburned skin needs extra soothing and moisturisation to rebalance moisture levels. When your skin get sunburned, it becomes very dehydrated and sensitive, making it prone to further damage. Nothing can actually cure sunburn, which is why it's important to cover up and stay out of the sun during the hottest hours of the day. The high water content in aftersun helps to cool the skin's temperature and soothe it with extra moisture. It is advisable to shower before using aftersun, to help the skin cool down.
How long does sunburn last?
Sunburn is caused by UV (ultraviolet) light from the sun's rays. It is common in most people for the symptoms of sunburn, such as pain and redness, to disappear after a few hours, or up to 24 hours. Note however that the effects of skin cancer and long term damage may take years to develop. The amount of time sunburn lasts for depends on its severity. Mild sunburn can last for a couple of days as the skin heals and regenerates. Moderate sunburn can take up to a week to heal, and it is important to keep applying after sun to help it heal. If you have severe sunburn, your skin will be blistering and you will feel very cold, even though your skin is hot to the touch. You should visit your GP if you have severe sunburn.
How long does sunburn peeling last?
After being burned in the sun, your skin will start to peel in around three days. The peeling will stop once your skin has regenerated, which may take up to a week for some people. Drink lots of water, apply lots of after sun on a regular basis, and avoid taking baths and showers that are too hot. Avoid pulling the skin off yourself – wait for it to shed naturally.
Is aftersun better than moisturiser?
Simply put – yes, it is. Aftersun products may work in the same way as moisturisers, but they contain ingredients that are more intensive and soothing to the skin, such as aloe, allantoin and bisabolol. Avoid aftersun products that contain alcohol, as this can be drying to the skin.