Evening Primrose Oil
Evening primrose oil is made from the seeds of the evening primrose plant. It is used to deal with a number of skin conditions, such as eczema and acne, and can help to reduce issues like hot flashes and high blood pressure.
Evening primrose oil capsules are the most common way of taking this supplement, though it also available as a liquid for mixing in drinks or a dropper for those who have trouble swallowing.
You can also apply evening primrose oil topically in hand creams, soap or lotion, which can be especially effective for external skin conditions.
- Lifeplan Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg Caps 90Special Price £9.99 Regular Price £12.49
- Lifeplan Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg Caps 30Special Price £6.76 Regular Price £8.45
- Quest Vitamins Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg Caps 180Special Price £14.99 Regular Price £16.59
- Quest Vitamins Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg Capsules 90Special Price £10.61 Regular Price £15.15
- Quest Vitamins Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg Caps 30Special Price £4.59 Regular Price £6.55
- Nature's Answer Evening Primrose Oil 120mlSpecial Price £26.09 Regular Price £28.99
- HealthAid Evening Primrose Soap 100gSpecial Price £3.59 Regular Price £4.49
- HealthAid Evening Primrose Cream 75mlSpecial Price £6.39 Regular Price £7.99
- Nature's Aid Organic Evening Primrose Oil Capsules 90Special Price £11.59 Regular Price £15.45
- Nature's Aid Evening Primrose Oil 500mg Softgels 120Special Price £5.99 Regular Price £7.99
- Nature's Aid Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg Softgels 180Special Price £24.37 Regular Price £32.49
- Nature's Aid Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg Softgels 90Special Price £13.87 Regular Price £18.49
- Nature's Plus Ultra Evening Primrose Oil 1,500mg Softgels 60Special Price £20.78 Regular Price £24.45
- Lamberts Pure Evening Primrose Oil 500mg Caps 180Special Price £14.99 Regular Price £18.95
- Lamberts Pure Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg Caps 90Special Price £11.99 Regular Price £14.95
- Lamberts Evening Primrose Oil with Starflower Oil 1000mg Capsules 90Special Price £13.49 Regular Price £16.95
- HealthAid Evening Primrose Oil 1300mg Capsules 30Special Price £11.99 Regular Price £14.99
- HealthAid Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg Capsules 90Special Price £20.79 Regular Price £25.99
- HealthAid Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg Capsules 60Special Price £15.59 Regular Price £19.49
- HealthAid Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg Capsules 30Special Price £10.79 Regular Price £13.49
- HealthAid Evening Primrose Oil 500mg Capsules 180Special Price £22.39 Regular Price £27.99
- HealthAid Evening Primrose Oil 500mg Capsules 120Special Price £16.79 Regular Price £20.99
- HealthAid Evening Primrose Oil 500mg Capsules 60Special Price £11.19 Regular Price £13.99
- HealthAid Evening Primrose Oil 500mg Capsules 30Special Price £6.79 Regular Price £8.49
- HealthAid Pure Evening Primrose Oil (10% GLA) 25mlSpecial Price £7.59 Regular Price £9.49
- Solgar Evening Primrose Oil 500mg Softgels 30Special Price £6.99 Regular Price £9.99
All you need to know about Evening Primrose Oil
What are the benefits of evening primrose oil?
Evening primrose oil capsules can be taken to treat a variety of complaints, including eczema-related conditions, arthritis and joint pain, symptoms of PMS, painful breasts and symptoms of the menopause such as hot flushes. It is also common to find evening primrose oil in moisturisers and creams, because of the benefits it offers to dry skin.
What are the side effects of primrose oil?
Some people report gastrointestinal side effects when taking up to 6 grams of primrose oil per day. Common complaints include feeling sick, diarrhoea and an upset stomach. Some people also experience headaches. Symptoms are however generally very mild. In creams and moisturisers, evening primrose oil is generally safe for most people, without any side effects.
Who shouldn't take evening primrose oil?
Although it has been suggested that taking evening primrose oil is safe up to the first ten weeks of pregnancy, it is not recommended for the later stages and final weeks of pregnancy, as it can delay labour. If you have a bleeding disorder, or are due to have surgery, you shouldn't use evening primrose oil, as it may increase the chances of bleeding or bruising. It also isn't suitable for those who suffer from epilepsy and seizures, as it could make seizures more likely. Always check with your GP before taking any supplements.
Does evening primrose oil encourage hair growth?
It has been suggested that primrose oil can promote new hair growth, because it contains arachidonic acid, which helps existing hair follicles to grow longer. Evening primrose oil may help if you are experiencing hair loss as part of a hormonal condition.