Lysine is an amino acid and a protein building block within the body. We are not able to produce lysine naturally in our bodies, so getting the right amounts via our diet are essential. You can get your intake of lysine by eating foods such as fish, meat, dairy products like milk and cheese, eggs, soy and green vegetables. Lysine is used to treat cold sores, diabetes and boosting athletic performance, and can also be effective in reducing growth of the herpes virus.
- Quest Vitamins L-Lysine 1000mg Tablets 45Special Price £7.59 Regular Price £9.49
- Quest Vitamins L-Lysine 1000mg Tablets 90Special Price £13.67 Regular Price £17.09
- Solaray Free-Form L-Lysine 500mg Capsules 60Special Price £6.49 Regular Price £7.99
- Quest Vitamins L-Lysine 500mg Tabs 60Special Price £7.13 Regular Price £10.19
- Nature's Aid L-Lysine 1000mg Tablets 80Special Price £5.99 Regular Price £6.45
- Nature's Aid L-Lysine 1000mg Tablets 60Special Price £6.34 Regular Price £8.45
- Higher Nature Lysine 500mg Vegetable Tablets 90Special Price £7.32 Regular Price £9.15
- Lamberts L-Lysine 1000mg Tabs 120Special Price £11.49 Regular Price £14.25
- HealthAid L-Lysine 500mg tablets 60Special Price £7.99 Regular Price £9.99
- Solgar L-Lysine 1000mg Tablets 250Special Price £27.99 Regular Price £39.75
- Solgar L-Lysine 1000mg Tablets 50Special Price £7.99 Regular Price £11.25
- Solgar L-Lysine 500mg Vegicaps 50Special Price £6.49 Regular Price £9.25
All you need to know about Lysine
What is lysine good for?
As an amino acid, lysine is part of our body's protein building blocks. It is essential for healthy growth and development, as it is responsible for the production of a nutrient called carnitine, which is used for getting energy from fatty acids and maintaining healthy cholesterol levels. Getting lysine from your diet is important, as it isn't produced naturally by the body.
Is lysine good for the skin?
Yes – it has been suggested that lysine is good for collagen production, which in turn helps maintain skin's structure and overall health. Lysine is good for promoting firmness and elasticity in the skin's exterior barrier, and can be used to treat conditions such as acne. Speak to your doctor if you are thinking of taking lysine supplements to treat skin conditions.
Can lysine help protect against viruses?
Although more in-depth research is needed, it has been suggested in some studies that lysine is effective at treating viruses. It is effective at destroying the herpes virus, and can provide relief from cold sores, especially when taken alongside bioflavonoids and vitamin C. It has also been suggested that lysine can also aid in how calcium is used by the body.
How much lysine can you take every day?
Taking a lysine supplement is safe for everyday use, and few side effects have been reported. A common daily dose is up to 3g. You should consult your doctor first before taking supplements to obtain a correct dosage for your needs.