Essential Fatty Acids & Omega's
There are three essential fatty acids that are important for overall health and keeping your body in great shape. These are omega-3 fatty acids known as alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). You can get these fatty acids in fish oils, flaxseed oils, canola oils and soybean. Omega-3 fatty acids are essential for taking care of your heart, circulation and brain. Browse and order our full range of fatty acid supplements here.
- Pharmanord Omega 3 Green Capsules 60Special Price £11.01 Regular Price £12.95
- Solaray Salmon Oil Softgels 90Special Price £19.43 Regular Price £24.29
- Wiley's Finest Wild Norwegian Cod Liver Oil 125mlSpecial Price £18.39 Regular Price £22.99
- Wiley's Finest Wild Norwegian Cod Liver Oil 250mlSpecial Price £30.39 Regular Price £37.99
- Lifeplan Omega 3, 6 & 9 Caps 90Special Price £10.87 Regular Price £13.59
- Lifeplan Omega 3, 6 & 9 Caps 30Special Price £4.63 Regular Price £5.79
- Lifeplan Flaxseed Oil 1000mg Caps 90Special Price £8.79 Regular Price £10.99
- Lifeplan Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg Caps 90Special Price £10.87 Regular Price £13.59
- Lifeplan Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg Caps 30Special Price £6.76 Regular Price £8.45
- Lifeplan Super Hi-Strength Omega 3 Fish Oil Caps 90Special Price £9.43 Regular Price £11.79
- Lifeplan Omega 3 Fish Oil Caps 90Special Price £6.95 Regular Price £8.69
- Lifeplan Omega 3 Fish Oil Caps 30Special Price £3.91 Regular Price £4.89
- Lifeplan Cod Liver Oil 1000mg Caps 90Special Price £7.83 Regular Price £9.79
- Lifeplan Cod Liver Oil 1000mg Caps 60Special Price £5.51 Regular Price £6.89
- Lifeplan Cod Liver Oil 550mg Caps 120Special Price £5.59 Regular Price £6.99
- Lifeplan Cod Liver Oil 550mg Caps 60Special Price £3.19 Regular Price £3.99
- Vegums Fish-Free Omega-3 Gummies 30Special Price £7.16 Regular Price £8.95
- Vegums Fish-Free Omega-3 Gummies 60Special Price £14.36 Regular Price £17.95
- Vegums Fish-Free Omega-3 Gummies 120Special Price £26.36 Regular Price £32.95
- CleanMarine Cardio 40+ Capsules 60Special Price £23.99 Regular Price £29.99
- Cleanmarine Krill Oil 50mg Marine Gelcaps 30Special Price £10.49 Regular Price £12.99
- Udo's Choice Ultimate Oil Blend 1000mg Capsules 60Special Price £14.39 Regular Price £17.99
All you need to know about Essential Fatty Acids & Omega's
What are essential fatty acids good for?
Essential fatty acids are high in omega-3, which is essential for heart health, good cholesterol and the number of triglycerides that are present in your blood. We store triglycerides in our blood cells and eventually convert them into energy. If we have too many though, this increases the risk of blood clots and heart disease. Omega-3 fatty acids help us keep our triglyceride numbers in check. They also stimulate cognitive and brain function, which helps to protect us from degenerative conditions like Alzheimer's disease, while aiding our vision and eye health (if we have a daily intake of 250mg).
Do fatty acids help boost sexual performance?
In men and women, having high levels of omega-3 fatty acids in your diet can boost circulation and blood flow, which can improve libido and sexual performance by stimulating blood flow to the sexual organs. Salmon, tuna and mackerel are good sources of omega-3 fatty acids.
How much omega-3 fatty acids should I get per day?
Generally speaking, you should be getting around 250-300mg per day of fatty acids through a healthy balanced diet that contains protein and oily fish, green vegetables, fruits and grains. If you have an underlying health condition, you may need higher amounts of fatty acids than this. The daily dose for alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) is 1.1g per day for women and 1.6g per day for men. Consult your doctor before taking fatty acid supplements so you are getting the right dose for your health goals.
Are omega-3 fatty acids harmful?
If you take too many omega-3 fatty acid supplements, this could be dangerous, and you shouldn't exceed 3,000mg per day. Omega-3 fatty acids can cause excessive bleeding and blood thinning in some people. You should consult your doctor before taking essential fatty acid supplements if you are on blood thinning medications. High amounts of vitamin A can also be found in omega-3 fatty acid supplements (such as cod liver oil), which can be toxic if you take more than the stated dose. Taking more fatty acids than needed doesn't lead to health benefits.