Ginkgo biloba is a tree that is native to Japan, Korea and China, but also grows in the United States and Europe. It is believed to be one of the oldest trees in the world, dating back 200 million years. Ginkgo biloba supplements are taken to improve problems with memory and cognitive function, as well as anxiety, vision problems and vertigo. Ginkgo biloba is also used in cosmetics, while roasted ginkgo seed is considered a food delicacy in China and Japan.
- Lifeplan Ginkgo Biloba Extract 6000mg Caps 30Special Price £8.20 Regular Price £10.25
- Nature's Answer Ginkgo Biloba Leaf 30mlSpecial Price £10.79 Regular Price £11.99
- Nature's Answer Alcohol Free Ginkgo Biloba Leaf 30mlSpecial Price £12.74 Regular Price £14.99
- Terranova Ginkgo Leaf 500mg Vegicaps 50Special Price £17.24 Regular Price £21.55
- A.Vogel Ginkgo Biloba Tincture 50mlSpecial Price £9.59 Regular Price £11.99
- Higher Nature Ginkgo Biloba 6000 Vegetable Tablets 30Special Price £4.16 Regular Price £5.20
- Higher Nature Ginkgo Biloba 6000 Vegetable Tablets 90Special Price £9.36 Regular Price £11.70
- Lamberts Ginkgo 6000mg Tablets 180Special Price £17.49 Regular Price £21.95
- HealthAid GinkoVital (Ginkgo Biloba) 5000mg Capsules 30Special Price £8.79 Regular Price £10.99
- Solgar Ginkgo 60mg Vegicaps 60Special Price £11.99 Regular Price £16.99
- HealthAid Ginkgo Biloba Liquid 50mlSpecial Price £7.99 Regular Price £9.99
- HealthAid Ginkgo Biloba Extract 5000mg Capsules 30Special Price £8.79 Regular Price £10.99
- NOW Foods Ginkgo Biloba 60mg Capsules 60£7.76Out of stock
- NOW Foods Ginkgo Biloba 60mg Capsules 240£25.90Out of stock
- Lifeplan Ginkgo Biloba Extract 6000mg Caps 60Special Price £14.63 Regular Price £18.29Out of stock
- Lindens Ginkgo Biloba 6000mg Tablets 365£10.99Out of stock
- Nature's Aid Ginkgo Biloba Tablets 90Special Price £8.21 Regular Price £10.95Out of stock
- A.Vogel Ginkgo Biloba 100mlSpecial Price £16.79 Regular Price £20.99Out of stock
- Solgar Bilberry Ginkgo Eyebright Complex Vegicaps 60Special Price £15.99 Regular Price £22.25Out of stock
All you need to know about Ginkgo Biloba
What are the benefits of ginkgo biloba?
Ginkgo biloba supplements come from the dried leaves of the ginkgo tree, which has managed to survive for over 200 million years. Ginkgo biloba has long-been renowned throughout centuries for its health benefits in relation to mental health, cognitive function and balance problems. Some modern-day ginkgo biloba supplements are also enriched with vitamin B5 and iodine to reduce fatigue and tiredness while boosting mental function. Ginkgo biloba can also help improve blood flow and slow down the effects of Alzheimer's disease.
What are the side effects of ginkgo biloba?
If taken in the correct dosage, ginkgo biloba is considered safe, but you should consult your doctor before taking any supplements. Some people report headaches, feeling dizzy, sickness, fatigue, skin reactions and an upset stomach. It has been suggested that the pulp and fruit of the ginkgo biloba tree can cause severe skin reactions and allergic reactions in some people. It can also cause bleeding and bruising in those who are on medications to reduce blood clotting. Roasted seeds of the ginkgo biloba are considered unsafe when taken orally, and can cause seizures, shock and loss of consciousness.
Can ginkgo biloba help with dementia?
Yes – because of its stimulating effect on the brain and blood flow around the body, cognitive function and memory can be improved by taking regular doses of ginkgo biloba. A popular dose in those with dementia is 40mg, taken three times per day. You should consult your GP before taking any supplements to help with symptoms of dementia.
Who should not take ginkgo biloba?
If you have a bleeding disorder, are on medications such as Warfarin, are pregnant, have diabetes or are planning to have future surgery, you shouldn't take ginkgo biloba, as it can increase chances of bleeding. Ginkgo biloba can also affect blood sugar levels and complicate diabetes management.