AHA and BHA Skincare
AHA (alpha hydroxy acids) and BHA (beta hydroxy acids) are popular and effective skin exfoliants that can be used to treat a wide range of skin concerns such as acne, skin texture and enlarged pores to name a few. AHA ingredients like Glycolic Acid and Lactic Acid are water-soluble. They primarily focus on exfoliating the upper layer of the skin (epidermis) and are great at removing dead skin cells for bright and fresh skin. On the other hand, BHA ingredients like Salicylic Acid are oil-soluble and are able to penetrate deep within pores to clear bacteria and regulate sebum production. Find some of the best-selling AHA and/or BHA skincare products for your skin concern here!
- CeraVe Blemish Control Gel 40mlSpecial Price £10.88 Regular Price £14.50
- Vichy Normaderm Probio-BHA Serum 30mlSpecial Price £24.00 Regular Price £33.50
- La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo+ Ultra Concentrated Serum 30mlSpecial Price £29.25 Regular Price £39.00
- La Roche-Posay Effaclar Micro-Peeling Purifying Gel 200mlSpecial Price £12.00 Regular Price £16.00
- La Roche-Posay Effaclar Micro-Peeling Purifying Gel 400mlSpecial Price £17.25 Regular Price £23.00
- Vichy Normaderm S.O.S Sulphur Paste 20mlSpecial Price £13.13 Regular Price £18.95
- Vichy Normaderm Phytosolution Double-Correction Daily Care 50mlSpecial Price £14.25 Regular Price £20.95
- Vichy Normaderm Mattifying Anti-Imperfections Correcting Care 50mlSpecial Price £12.00 Regular Price £18.00
- REN AHA Smart Renewal Body Serum 200mlSpecial Price £29.60 Regular Price £37.00
- REN Ready Steady Glow Daily AHA Tonic 250mlSpecial Price £22.40 Regular Price £28.00
- La Roche-Posay Effaclar Purifying Cleansing Gel 400mlSpecial Price £16.50 Regular Price £22.00
- Esthederm Intensive AHA Peel Serum 30mlSpecial Price £52.00 Regular Price £65.00
- Esthederm Intensive Propolis & Salicylic Acid Serum 30mlSpecial Price £40.00 Regular Price £50.00
- REN Glycolactic Radiance Renewal Mask 50mlSpecial Price £32.00 Regular Price £40.00
- La Roche-Posay Effaclar Astringent Micro-Exfoliant Lotion 200mlSpecial Price £11.25 Regular Price £15.00
- Vichy Normaderm Purifying Pore-Tightening Lotion 200mlSpecial Price £10.50 Regular Price £16.00
- Vichy Normaderm Phytosolution Intensive Purifying Gel 200mlSpecial Price £10.13 Regular Price £14.95
- CeraVe Blemish Control Cleanser 236mlSpecial Price £9.75 Regular Price £13.00Out of stock
- La Roche-Posay Effaclar Anti-Blemish SystemSpecial Price £29.25 Regular Price £39.00Out of stock
- Vichy Normaderm 3 in 1 Cleanser 125mlSpecial Price £9.38 Regular Price £14.50Out of stock
All you need to know about AHA & BHA
Should you use AHA or BHA products for your skin?
Your primary skincare concern should determine whether an AHA or BHA ingredient is suitable. Typically, if your skin concerns lay deep in your skin, such as acne or oily blemish-prone skin then a BHA product would be better. There are also many BHA and AHA skincare products that can tackle a variety of concerns. A BHA skincare product will penetrate deep into your skin and exfoliate pores, regulate sebum and more. On the other hand, if you want to tackle dryness, dullness and pigmentation, then AHA’s would be better.
Can you use AHA and BHA skincare products together?
Yes, it is safe to use AHA and BHA ingredients together if they are combined into one product (like CeraVe Blemish Control Gel Moisturiser). These products are carefully formulated with a balance of both AHA and BHA ingredients so that they do not irritate the skin. Using two separate AHA and BHA products increases the risk of irritation as they are not formulated to work together. As both ingredients are exfoliators, mixing them can damage the skin’s natural barrier.
How often should you use AHA and BHA products?
If you are starting your AHA or BHA journey, we recommend you use them every other day depending on the product. It is also important to consider the rest of your skincare routine as other active ingredients like retinol mixed with an AHA or BHA will irritate the skin. AHA and BHA cleansers are typically safe to use once a day. Whereas treatments with a stronger formulation should be used two or three times a week.