Turmeric & Curcumin
Turmeric is a plant. You probably know turmeric as the main spice in curry. It has a warm, bitter taste and is frequently used to flavor or color curry powders, mustards, butters, and cheeses. But the root of turmeric is also used widely to make medicine. Turmeric and Curcumin are really popular at Landys Chemist.
Curcumin can be used for arthritis, heartburn (dyspepsia), stomach pain, diarrhea, intestinal gas, stomach bloating, loss of appetite, jaundice, liver problems and gallbladder disorders. It is also used for headaches, bronchitis, colds, lung infections, fibromyalgia, leprosy, fever, menstrual problems, and cancer. Other uses include depression, Alzheimer’s disease, water retention, worms, and kidney problems.
Some people apply turmeric to the skin for pain, ringworm, bruising, leech bites, eye infections, inflammatory skin conditions, soreness inside of the mouth, and infected wounds.
- Terranova Fermented Turmeric Fermeric 350mg Capsules 50Special Price £17.56 Regular Price £21.95
- Lifeplan Joint Action Turmeric Formula Caps 90Special Price £8.63 Regular Price £10.79
- Lifeplan Super Herbs Curcumin 500mg Caps 60Special Price £13.03 Regular Price £16.29
- Living Nutrition Organic Fermented Turmeric Caps 60Special Price £23.99 Regular Price £24.99
- Lamberts TurMemoric Tablets 60Special Price £18.49 Regular Price £22.95
- Nature's Answer Turmeric-3 30mlSpecial Price £21.59 Regular Price £23.99
- Terranova Turmeric Root 350mg Vegicaps 100Special Price £22.52 Regular Price £28.15
- Terranova Turmeric Root 350mg Vegicaps 50Special Price £12.80 Regular Price £16.00
- Terranova Tart Cherry, Nettle & Turmeric Super-Blend Powder 50gSpecial Price £17.64 Regular Price £22.05
- Solgar Full Spectrum Curcumin Softgels 90Special Price £57.49 Regular Price £81.75
- Nature's Bounty Turmeric 500mg Capsules 60Special Price £7.99 Regular Price £10.99
- Nature's Aid Turmeric 8200mg Capsules 30Special Price £7.84 Regular Price £10.45
- Nature's Aid Ginger, Turmeric & Bromelain Tablets 60Special Price £7.09 Regular Price £9.45
- BetterYou Turmeric Daily Oral Spray 25mlSpecial Price £18.36 Regular Price £22.95
- Nature's Plus Source of Life Garden Curcumin 400mg VCaps 30Special Price £26.99 Regular Price £31.75
- Lamberts Curcumin Ultra Tablets 60Special Price £29.99 Regular Price £37.95
All you need to know about Turmeric & Curcumin
What are the benefits of turmeric?
Turmeric is one of the most beneficial natural spices out there, with evidence suggesting that it has benefits for both mental and physical health. For thousands of years it has been used in Indian cooking to flavour curries. The spice contains many compounds that have medicinal benefits, of which the most notable is curcumin – a powerful antioxidant with anti-inflammatory properties. Just eating turmeric in cooking though isn't enough to receive the full benefit of curcumin, which is why some people choose to take a turmeric supplement. Turmeric helps to boost the immune system and help your body fight foreign bacteria. It also helps to reduce inflammation that is linked to chronic diseases like metabolic syndrome, cancer and heart disease.
Can I take a turmeric supplement every day?
A person should take no more than 1.4mg of turmeric per pound of their body weight on a daily basis. We don't advise taking a dosage that is higher than this, or taking turmeric supplements for extended periods of time. Always speak to your GP before taking turmeric supplements to treat inflammation that is associated with a chronic condition.
Are there any medications I shouldn't be taking with turmeric?
If you are taking either blood-thinning medications, or medications that reduce the amount of acid in the stomach, you shouldn't take turmeric supplements, as they may counter the effects of these medications, raising the risk of bleeding and/or increasing the production of stomach acid. Those with diabetes should also not take turmeric supplements, as they may increase the effects of drugs that lower blood sugar. Always speak to your GP before combining medications with supplements.
Can turmeric boost sex drive?
Yes! Studies have shown that turmeric can boost your sex drive by increasing testosterone levels in men. In ancient Indian culture, turmeric has long been used as an aphrodisiac and as an aid for boosting sex drive in post-partum women.