The mineral iodine is used by your thyroid gland to produce hormones that support and help to regulate a healthy metabolism. It also helps support the general growth and repair of cells. It has been suggested in studies that a third of people globally have some form of iodine deficiency. If you are vegan or vegetarian, you may find it harder to keep your iodine levels topped up, as iodine is often found in seafood and fish. Shop our range of iodine supplements here.
- KIKI Health Ionic Iodine Liquid Concentrate 50mlSpecial Price £19.20 Regular Price £24.00
- Nature's Plus Potassium Iodide 150mcg Iodine Tablets 100Special Price £5.06 Regular Price £5.95
- Pharmanord Iodine 400ug Tablets 120Special Price £13.56 Regular Price £15.95
- Lifeplan Sea Kelp 400mg Tabs 280Special Price £5.67 Regular Price £7.09
- Together Health Iodine Vegicaps 30Special Price £5.94 Regular Price £6.99
- HealthAid Iodine 300ug Tablets 60Special Price £6.39 Regular Price £7.99
- Lamberts Iodine 150ug Tablets 180Special Price £5.99 Regular Price £7.50
- Wild Nutrition Food-Grown Iodine Vegicaps 30Special Price £12.40 Regular Price £15.50Out of stock
All you need to know about Iodine
What are the benefits of iodine?
Iodine is an essential mineral for the growth and repair of cells within the body. We also need iodine in order to have a healthy thyroid, which in turn regulates our metabolism (the way we get energy from our food and maintain our weight). Without iodine, we wouldn't be able to create enough thyroid hormones. Iodine is also important for brain function and brain development in unborn children.
Should I take iodine?
You should always consult your GP before taking iodine supplements or tablets. If you have an underactive thyroid that isn't caused by an iodine deficiency, iodine supplements will have no benefit, and shouldn't be taken. You may even find that taking too much iodine will make your condition worse.
What are the symptoms of iodine deficiency?
If you have an iodine deficiency, you will most likely experience symptoms such as brittleness and breaking hair, balding spots in the scalp, dull skin, fatigue and tiredness, low levels of concentration, depression, inadequate thyroid function (leading to weight gain), a weak heartbeat and sensitivity to cold. Consult your GP if you feel you might need an iodine supplement.
Will iodine help me to lose weight?
It has been suggested that iodine supplements can stimulate the production of thyroid hormones, which in turn can boost the immune system's function and metabolism, meaning that weight loss occurs. You should not attempt to lose weight by taking iodine supplements without speaking to your doctor first.