Best Eye Cream for Under Eye Dark Circles and Wrinkles
Table of Contents
- What Causes Dark Circles?
- Can Eye Creams and Serums Treat Dark Circles? (Active Ingredients that treat Dark Circles)
- Product Recommendation
What causes dark circles?
Dark circles under the eyes, often referred to as periorbital hyperpigmentation, are a common skincare concern. When it comes to treating dark circles, it is important to first understand the causes that contribute to dark circles as this determines the type of treatment that would be most effective. The most common causes of dark circles are:
- Hereditary (Genetics): Some individuals are genetically predisposed to dark circles due to thinner under-eye skin or an increased tendency for blood vessels to show through. Studies have found that dark circles can run through families.
- Ageing: As we age, collagen and elastin production decrease, causing the skin to thin and lose its elasticity. This can make blood vessels more visible, leading to dark circles.
- Lack of sleep: A lack of sleep can cause blood vessels to dilate and become more prominent, resulting in under-eye discoloration.
- Allergies: Seasonal allergies or sensitivities can lead to inflammation and increased blood flow in the delicate under-eye area, contributing to dark circles.
- Hyperpigmentation: Excessive melanin production, commonly seen in individuals with darker skin tones, can result in darker under-eye areas.
- Dehydrated or dry skin: Dry skin conditions like eczema and contact dermatitis can lead to the dilation of blood vessels beneath the eyes, resulting in their visibility through the skin. Inadequate hydration levels can contribute to a lacklustre appearance of the under-eye skin.
- Lifestyle factors: Both smoking and excessive alcohol consumption can constrict blood vessels and reduce blood flow, worsening the appearance of dark circles. Overexposure to UV rays can trigger the production of melanin, leading to pigmentation changes under the eyes.
Can eye creams and serums treat dark circles?
Yes, dark circles can be minimised with topical treatments such as eye creams and serums. With the right formulations, there are specific active ingredients that can significantly reduce the appearance of dark circles under the eyes (caused by the factors mentioned above) such as:
Low molecular weight hyaluronic acid can specifically benefit dark circles as it can penetrate deeply into the epidermis to intensely hydrate and plump the under-eye area, diminishing the sunken appearance of dark circles and promoting a more youthful look.
A high concentration of niacinamide can act as a key component in visibly diminishing dark circles as it reduces pigmentation and promotes a brighter, more even-toned under-eye area.
Haritaki extract has a potential to improve blood circulation and reduce inflammation, which can help alleviate the appearance of dark circles under the eyes.
Tackle Dark Circles with Avene Hylauron Activ B3 Triple Correction Eye Cream
Avene Hylauron Activ B3 Triple Correction Eye Cream is one of the best eye creams for dark circles due to its potent blend of hyaluronic acid and vitamin B3 (Niacinamide). The 1.5% low molecular hyaluronic acid deeply hydrates the delicate skin under the eyes, plumping and revitalising it, effectively reducing the appearance of dark circles. Additionally, a high concetration of 6% niacinamide, known for its brightening and anti-inflammatory properties, helps in diminishing pigmentation and discoloration. This specialised formula is further enriched with haritaki extract, a powerful natural ingredient that complements its effectiveness in reducing dark circles by improving blood circulation and promoting skin rejuvenation.
This eye cream not only tackles dark circles but also addresses fine lines and wrinkles, making it a comprehensive solution for a youthful, rejuvenated under-eye area. Its lightweight formula is gentle for the sensitive eye area, making it perfect for daily use, ultimately making it a standout product in the realm of under-eye skincare.
Key Benefits of Avene Hylauron Activ B3 Triple Correction Eye Cream:
- Reduces Dark Circles: Hyaluronic acid diminishes sunken appearance, evening out dark circles.
- Diminishes Wrinkles: Vitamin B3 addresses wrinkles and fine lines, promoting youthful skin.
- Improves Circulation: Haritaki extract boosts blood flow, reducing dark circle visibility.
- Rejuvenates: Provides a comprehensive solution for a revitalized under-eye area.
- Hydrates and Plumps: Low molecular weight hyaluronic acid intensely hydrates, promoting a refreshed look.
- Suitable for all skin types: This fragrance-free, non-greasy formula is suitable for all skin types, including those with sensitive eyes.
- Natural Ingredients: Avene Hylauron Activ B3 Triple Correction Eye Cream is made up of 93% natural ingredients.
How to use:
You can apply Avene Hyaluron Activ B3 Triple Correction Eye Cream in the morning and/or evening, alone or after your serum. Suitable for the lip contour.
Can you remove dark circles permanently?
Unfortunately, there is no permanent solution to completely remove dark circles. Dark circles can be mitigated through various treatments like topical creams, chemical peels, laser therapy, or injectable fillers, which can Reduce their appearance. However, addressing the underlying causes (genetics, aging, lack of sleep, allergies) and maintaining a healthy lifestyle whilst using a well formulated eye treatment can significantly reduce the appearance of dark circles.
How long does it take for Avene Hyaluron Acitv B3 Triple Action eye cream to work?
Avene Hyaluron Acitv B3 Triple Action eye cream typically shows visible improvements within a few weeks of consistent use. If you're looking for significant improvements, consistent use over a more extended period is recommended.
What is the fastest way to get rid of dark circles?
The fastest way to immediately diminish dark circles is to use concealer or colour correctors specifically designed for under-eye use, providing immediate coverage and brightening.
What deficiencies contribute to dark circles?
Dark circles can be influenced by various nutritional deficiencies. Iron deficiency can cause decreased oxygen supply to the under-eye area, making the blood vessels more noticeable. Anaemia, particularly iron-deficiency anaemia, can lead to paleness of the skin, intensifying the appearance of dark circles. Inadequate levels of vitamins K and C can affect blood clotting and skin pigmentation, respectively, potentially worsening under-eye discoloration. Additionally, insufficient hydration may make the skin under the eyes appear dull and sunken, accentuating the appearance of dark circles.
Can a facial moisturiser be used as an eye cream for dark circles?
It depends on personal preference, there are no rules to say you cannot use regular facial moisturisers around the eyes. However, the skin around the eyes is a lot more delicate than the skin around the rest of the face. Eye creams are specially formulated for the delicate skin around the eyes, addressing specific concerns like puffiness, dark circles, and fine lines. They typically have a lighter texture to prevent irritation and provide targeted benefits for the sensitive under-eye area, focusing on reducing signs of fatigue and ageing.
- Causes of Dark Circles: Hereditary factors, aging, lack of sleep, allergies, hyperpigmentation, dehydrated or dry skin, and lifestyle habits contribute to dark circles under the eyes.
- Active Ingredients to Treat Dark Circles: Hyaluronic Acid, Niacinamide, and Haritaki Extract are active ingredients effective in reducing the appearance of dark circles by hydrating, brightening, and improving blood circulation.
- Product Recommendation: Avene Hyaluron Activ B3 Triple Correction Eye Cream is recommended for addressing dark circles and wrinkles, containing hyaluronic acid, vitamin B3, and haritaki extract.
By Rhysa Phommachanh, BA (hons) Specialist in Skincare, Hair and Media Makeup / Head of Digital