The Best Joint Supplements For Dogs and Cats
Why Is Joint Health Important For Dogs and Cats?
Joint health is important for dogs and cats because it affects their mobility and overall quality of life. Joints are the points where two bones meet, and they allow movement in the body. When joints are healthy, animals can move easily and comfortably. However, when joints become damaged or diseased, it can cause pain and difficulty moving. This can lead to decreased mobility, muscle atrophy, and a decreased quality of life. Maintaining good joint health is important for the long-term well-being of dogs and cats. It can help prevent or alleviate joint problems such as osteoarthritis, which is the most common cause of chronic pain in older pets.
Common Symptoms of Joint Pain In Cats and Dogs:
It is vital for pet owners to be aware of the signs of joint pain in their animals so that they can be treated accordingly. Here are some common signs of joint pain in cats and dogs:
- Limping or lameness
- Difficulty with mobility such as rising, jumping, and climbing
- Decreased activity level or reluctance to exercise
- Lethargy and fatigue
- Frequent slipping
- Loss of appetite
- Swelling or tenderness in the joints
- Stiffness or difficulty moving
- Changes in behaviour such as depression, irritability, or aggression
- Loss of muscle mass or atrophy
- Licking or biting the affected area
It is important to note that animals may not show all of these signs, and the severity of the signs may vary. If you suspect that your pet is experiencing joint pain, consult a veterinarian for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.
What Causes Poor Joint Health In Cats and Dogs?
There are several contributing factors which can lead to joint pain in pets which can wither be degenerate or developmental
- Osteoarthritis: A degenerative joint disease that can occur due to wear and tear on the joints over time. It is more common in older animals but can also occur in younger animals due to genetics or injury.
- Injury or trauma: Incidences such as sprains, strains, or fractures. These types of injuries can cause pain and inflammation in the affected joint.
- Infection or inflammation in the joint: Infection and inflammation such as septic arthritis or rheumatoid arthritis can cause joint pain.
- Obesity: Excess weight puts additional stress on the joints, contributing to joint pain.
- Developmental defects: Some animals may be born with joint abnormalities or congenital conditions that can cause pain and difficulty moving, which can worsen with age.
What Supplements Support Joint Health?
There are several supplements that can help support joint health in cats and dogs:
This is a natural compound that is found in the body and helps to lubricate and protect the joints. It is available in supplement form and can be helpful for pets with osteoarthritis.
This is another natural compound that is found in the body and helps to support the health of the joints. It is often combined with glucosamine in joint supplements.
Omega-3 fatty acids:
These are beneficial fats that can help to reduce inflammation in the body. They are available in supplement form or can be found in certain types of fish or fish oil.
This vitamin is important for the production of collagen, which is a protein that helps to support the joints. It is available in supplement form or can be found in certain fruits and vegetables.
It's important to note that these supplements may not be appropriate for all cats and dogs, and it's always best to consult with a veterinarian before giving your pet any supplements. The correct dosage and frequency will depend on the specific needs of your pet.
What Are The Best Joint Supplements For Dogs and Cats?
Lamberts Chewable Glucosamine Complex for Dogs and Cats Tablets:
This formula is developed by experts and combines glucosamine sulphate with vitamin C and E to support joint health. This supplement is effective in reducing pain and improving mobility in animals with osteoarthritis. It may also help to slow the progression of the disease by supporting healthy cartilage production. Lamberts Chewable Glucosamine Complex for dogs and cats uses a gentle, non-acidic form of vitamin C known as calcium ascorbate, which is gentle on their tummy and packed with antioxidants. Vitamin E provides extra protection against oxidative stress. These chewable tablets can be mixed in with food or given to your pet as a treat!
- Lamberts Chewable Glucosamine Complex for Dogs & Cats Tablets 90Special Price £7.49 Regular Price £8.95
Lamberts High Potency Omega 3 for Cats and Dogs Capsules:
These Omega 3 capsules will ensure your pet receives a regular intake of EPA and DHA fatty acids. These two important nutrients are often missing from pet foods due to both cost and instability because they tend to go rancid when exposed to air, so dry 'complete' diets will contain little of these important nutrients.
Omega 3 products are routinely recommended by vets for both dogs and cats. Simply add the capsules to their food, the capsules can be pierced, and the contents squeezed on to the food if necessary. Several studies have shown that omega-3 fatty acids play a role in reducing inflammation in the management of joint health and pain in cats and dogs.
- Lamberts High Potency Omega 3 for Cats and Dogs Capsules 120Special Price £7.49 Regular Price £8.95
Life Extension Cat and Dog Mix Multi Nutrient Formulas:
Multivitamins can provide a wide range of nutrients that are essential for maintaining good health, including vitamins, minerals, and other substances which your pet may be lacking from their diet. Life Extension Cat Mix and Dog Mix can help to ensure that your pet is getting the nutrients they need for optimal joint health, which can help to improve their mobility and overall quality of life.
Discover our range of pet supplements and vitamins here.
By Neesha Desai, Pharmacist
The products offered are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any illness or disease, or replace the advice of a medical professional. Results are not guaranteed and may vary from individual to individual.